Apple Pie Baking Contest, Oct. 15
September 23, 2023
Do you make a wicked apple pie? Enter The Loop newspaper's Apple Pie Baking Contest on Sunday, Oct. 15 at 1 p.m. on the street just outside of Centennial Plaza. Let's see how your recipe ranks against up to nine other bakers. Here are the rules.
1. The contest is open to anyone wishing to bake an apple pie.
2. Only 10 apple pies will be accepted, with a $10 entry fee per entry.
3. All apple pies will be accepted.
4. Pies MUST be checked in at the Apple Festival Organizer's booth at the stage in Centennial Plaza on Green Street by 11 a.m. on contest day. Judging begins at 1 p.m. It is at the organizers discretion to turn away late comers.
5. No other fruits may be added (juices are okay).
6. Pies that need special handling, refrigeration or heating elements are not allowed.
7. The finished pies must be made using the same ingredients and recipe, and cannot contain raw/uncooked eggs (white or yokes). Egg must reach 160 degrees to be considered cooked. Official Tehachapi Apple Festival Apple Pie Contest judge's ruling as to eligibility will be final.
8. We recommend that pies are baked in disposable pans only, as pans will not be returned.
9. Pies will be scored on overall appearance, crust, filling and flavor.
10. First Place winner will receive $50 cash, second place $35, and third place $25.
Visit The Loop newspaper office at 206 S. Green St., Tehachapi to submit your entry form, along with the $10 entry fee. See entry form on this page.