Old Tehachapi Hospital Demolition
The Loop's Local Scene
October 23, 2021
The old Tehachapi Hospital at 115 West E Street served the community from 1956 to 2018, but the cost of updating the building for medical or commercial use outweighed the $327,000 cost of demolition. Shown, demolition on Oct. 13 and Oct. 20, where two excavators are making quick work of the building. The gracious Deodar cedars will be all that is left. The trees have offered beauty and shade for the previous hospital building on the site, which was originally a rooming house. The rooming house owners planted the trees. Doctors Madge and Harold Schlotthauer bought the building in 1934 and used it as a hospital until the 1952 earthquake, after which it was demolished and the hospital now being demolished was built at the location. The property is owned by the Tehachapi Valley Healthcare District. The District's new hospital, Adventist Health Tehachapi Valley, is located north of the 58 freeway.