Public Health encourages everyone to get a flu shot
Kern Public Health
October 10, 2020
Kern County makes sure getting the vaccine is easy and free to help prevent “twindemic” of COVID-19 and seasonal flu
With flu season upon us, Kern County Public Health is planning for the potential effects of a ”twindemic” of influenza and COVID-19 during the fall and winter months and urges everyone to get a flu shot.
“During this pandemic, it is more vital than ever for our residents to get their annual flu vaccine,” said Matt Constantine, Director of Kern County Public Health. “This will help decrease the incidence of flu in our community and help ease the burden on our healthcare system.”
Getting a flu shot is an easy and safe action we can take to keep ourselves and our loved ones healthy during the pandemic. Additionally, vaccination from the flu will reduce the burden of flu on the community and preserve health care resources for the care of patients with COVID-19.
In addition to getting your flu shot, practice healthy habits like hand washing, staying at least six feet away from others, wearing a face covering when in public, avoiding gatherings and staying at home when sick. These steps will protect you from both the flu and COVID-19.
Residents can take advantage of the following opportunities to receive a free flu shot:
Routine Public Health Clinic
• Public Health Services Building, 1800 Mt. Vernon Avenue, Bakersfield – Beginning October 1, Monday through Friday 8 to
11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. by appointment.
Seasonal Flu Clinics
• NAACP Clinic at St. John’s Missionary Baptist Church: 1401 E. Brundage Lane, Bakersfield – October 10, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Shafter: Public Health Office, 329 Central Valley Hwy. – October 13, 1 to 3:30 p.m.
• Delano: Public Health Office, 455 Lexington Street - October 14, 9 to 11 a.m. and 2 to 4 p.m.
• Pine Mountain Club: 2524 Beechwood Way – October 14, 10 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
• Lake Isabella: 7050 Lake Isabella Blvd., Suite 144 – October 20, 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
• Kern County Fairgrounds Swap Meet: 1142 S. P Street, Bakersfield - October 25, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. and November 13, 5 to 8 p.m.
• Ridgecrest: 400 N. China Lake Blvd. - October 27, 10:30 a.m. to noon and 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
For more information call 661-321-3000 or visit http://www.kernpublichealth.com.