Tips from SCE for a safe holiday season
Southern California Edison
December 18, 2021
Whether your holiday list includes a new television, computer, washer or dryer or gaming console – take note. Safety may not be at the top of your list, but it’s one of the first things you should think about when purchasing big-ticket electronic devices.
Here are a few electrical safety tips to consider:
• Unplug your electrical items by grasping the plug firmly rather than pulling the cord.
• Check that your electrical items are certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
• Never remove the third prong on an electrical appliance in order to make a three-prong plug fit into a two-prong outlet.
• Be sure to keep cords out of reach of children and pets.
• To help keep your appliances and cords in good condition, examine them regularly for damage. You should repair or dispose of any damaged appliances.
You may find more tips online, including how to properly install devices in your home and how to protect your devices from a power surge: energized.edison.com/stories/holiday-shopping-safety-tips-to-protect-new-appliances/.