What does Rotary do? – Service, service, service to our community
Rotary Club of Tehachapi
November 7, 2020
On Wednesday, October 21, Tehachapi Rotary donated 35 coats to the Tehachapi Salvation Army. These coats were purchased by monies budgeted by the club along with a donation from the Walmart in Tehachapi. Rotarians Rhonda Brady and Cathy Criger went shopping at the Burlington Coat Factory in Bakersfield and Walmart a few days before, choosing coats for teenagers at the request of Salvation Army.
Tehachapi Humanitarian Relief Group - this group continues to provide packages or food and life’s necessities to families in need. Just last week they delivered over 9,000 pounds of food to over 250 families. Rotary’s donation is providing drivers reimbursement for gas. Volunteers are driving their trucks and SUVs down to Bakersfield and Palmdale to pick up pallets of food, and usually towing anywhere from 3,500-6,000 pounds, and thanks to Rotary, this group can cover gas for the trip.
We also are hoping to purchase more shelving that will allow us to expand our food pantry to provide more healthy and fresh options now that the weather is cooler.
AND COMING UP - in an effort to help seniors during our Holiday Season we are planning a 12 Days of Christmas event. We are inviting the public to take part in this.
The Twelve Days of Christmas!
We are asking everyone to collect the following items and put them in a box ready for pickup. We will come to your home and collect it and take all of them to the Senior Center here in Tehachapi for distribution to the people enrolled in “Meals on Wheels.” Extra boxes will be distributed through the Senior Center to make sure they go to homes that really need the help.
If you are unable to fill a box, a cash donation, allowing Rotarians to fill boxes, would be welcomed. We want to get these boxes to as many seniors as possible. Your participation will help us serve our incredible community.
• December 1: Box of Cereal and Peanut Butter.
• December 2: Stuffing Mix and Boxed Potatoes.
• December 3: Macaroni and Cheese and Canned Mixed Fruit.
• December 4: Canned Tomatoes and Canned Tuna.
• December 5: Dessert Mix and Jar of Applesauce.
• December 6: Canned Sweet Potatoes and Cranberry Sauce.
• December 7: Canned Beans and Box of Crackers.
• December 8: Package of Rice and Package of Oatmeal.
• December 9: Package of Pasta and Spaghetti Sauce.
• December 10: Chicken Noodle Soup and Tomato Soup.
• December 11: Canned Corn and Canned Mixed Vegetables.
• December 12: Canned Carrots and Canned Green Beans.
Baskets/boxes should be ready to go by December 14. Email Judy at [email protected] when your box is ready. Judy, Rhonda or Cathy will arrange to pick it up.
If you’d like to decorate the box or add a bit of Christmas decoration, that would be great.
We won’t be able to hold the Holiday Luncheon this year so this is the next best way to help out.