Tehachapi History Walk dedicated
May 11, 2019
Tehachapi Heritage League, Main Street Tehachapi and the City of Tehachapi joined together on May 7 to dedicate 16 plaques describing different aspects of local history that line the two and a half block section of S. Green St. from Tehachapi Blvd. to the Tehachapi Museum at 310 S. Green St. The project was the result of a joint effort to beautify Downtown Tehachapi and to educate residents and visitors about the city's history and what makes Tehachapi a special place.
It is a true joint venture. Main Street Tehachapi's mission is to support the beautification and walkability of downtown and this project is definitely a step toward that goal. Del Troy and Charles White of the Tehachapi Heritage League conducted the research for the plaques. City Manager Greg Garrett and the City Council supported the project and the City's Public Works Department installed the plaques and posts. Local designer Kerri Esten did the layout and design of the plaques.
Each plaque has a photo and text describing a different aspect of local history beginning with the Kawaiisu, the local native American tribe. Other plaques include early explorers, the impact of the railroad and the Loop, the founding of the town in 1909, the 1952 earthquake and more recent history such as the development of Brite Lake.
Next time you are downtown, take a stroll, read the plaques and check out the Tehachapi Museum and Errea House.