Exhibits/Events at Museum & Errea House
August 20 to 21
Local artifacts collected over the past 39 years, such as the four-foot long Mammoth thighbone, a fullsized horse drawn buggy and the recreated blacksmith shop help tell Tehachapi's story at the Tehachapi Museum. Across the street, the Errea House Museum shows rural life in a 1900 to 1930 setting, in a house moved from Old Town on log rollers in 1900. Both are operated by the Tehachapi Heritage League, with each museum telling a part of the history of Tehachapi.
A Kawaiisu exhibit in the Mark and Jessie Milano Gallery of the museum tells the story of the Kawaiisu Indians, the first inhabitants of this area. The exhibit features, examples of old basketry and many vintage family photos of Kawaiisu and their descendents. Rock art illustrations from area sites show the diversity of images and a section on the prehistoric and archeological makeup of the area shows tools, vessels and projectile points collected locally, along with a map showing early village sites.
A smaller gallery offers clothing, hats, dresses and a peek into the past. Also on display is a dress belonging to Mrs. Downey, the Governor's wife who perished in a railroad accident near Tehachapi in 1883.
The carefully tended, turn of the century Errea Garden at the Historic Errea House will also be open. Museum hours will be 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. The Museum is located at 310 South Green St., a short walk from the park with the Errea House directly across the street.
Read The Loop's Complete Guide To Mountain Festival 2016, click here: http://www.theloopnewspaper.com/page/your-complete-guide-to-mountain-festival-2016/2795.html
For a map to Mountain Festival Weekend, click here: http://www.theloopnewspaper.com/page/mountain-festival-at-a-glance/2796.html